Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 5 of 90 day Bible challenge!

Day 5 – Reading Exodus 1-15

- Egypt receives a new ruler generations after Joseph who does not know of Joseph.

- This new ruler works the Israelites hard and seeks to have their newborn boys killed.

Exodus 1:22 “Then Pharaoh gave this order to all his people: ‘Every boy that is born you must throw into the Nile, but let every girl live.’”

- Pharaoh’s daughter found a child in the river bank, sought a Hebrew woman to nurse him (his own mother), and took him, Moses, as a son when he became older.

Exodus 2:10 “When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh's daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, ‘I drew him out of the water.’”

- Moses killed an Egyptian who was beating a Hebrew. It became known to Pharaoh, and Moses fled.

- Moses helped water a flock at a distant well, stayed with the owner of the flock and received a wife.

Exodus 2:23-25 “During that long period, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.”

-God speaks to Moses through a burning bush telling him to go to Egypt to bring out the Israelites.

Exodus 3:19-22 “But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him. So I will stretch out my hand and strike the Egyptians with all the wonders that I will perform among them. After that, he will let you go. ‘And I will make the Egyptians favorably disposed toward this people, so that when you leave you will not go empty-handed. Every woman is to ask her neighbor and any woman living in her house for articles of silver and gold and for clothing, which you will put on your sons and daughters. And so you will plunder the Egyptians.’”

- At Moses’ and Aaron’s arrival, Pharaoh increases the work the Israelites must complete, but God is still persistent with Moses telling him he will bring them out of Egypt.

Exodus 7:1-5 “Then the LORD said to Moses, ‘See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron will be your prophet. You are to say everything I command you, and your brother Aaron is to tell Pharaoh to let the Israelites go out of his country. But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt, he will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites. And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it.’”

Exodus 8:22-23 “But on that day I will deal differently with the land of Goshen, where my people live; … so that you will know that I, the LORD, am in this land. I will make a distinction between my people and your people. This miraculous sign will occur tomorrow.”

- The Lord performed many harsh miraculous signs against the Egyptians.

Exodus 12:12-14 “On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn—both men and animals—and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD. The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt. This is a day you are to commemorate; for the generations to come you shall celebrate it as a festival to the LORD -a lasting ordinance.”

- After life was taken from the firstborns of the Egyptian households and their flocks, Pharaoh finally let the Israelites free from the land of Egypt.

Exodus 13:14-16 “In days to come, when your son asks you, 'What does this mean?' say to him, 'With a mighty hand the LORD brought us out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the LORD killed every firstborn in Egypt, both man and animal. This is why I sacrifice to the LORD the first male offspring of every womb and redeem each of my firstborn sons.' And it will be like a sign on your hand and a symbol on your forehead that the LORD brought us out of Egypt with his mighty hand."

Exodus 14:13-14 “Moses answered the people, ‘Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.’”

- The Egyptians went after the Israelites to the Red Sea, Moses raised his staff, the waters divided, and the Egyptians followed them on the dry land before the sea returned undivided. The Israelites made it through safely, but not one of the Egyptians survived because the waters came down upon them.

2 comments:

  1. The story of Joseph and the Exodus could be my favorite story in Scripture. Joseph's faith through trial is very inspiring; and Moses' .
    leadership only through the power of God is always a powerful reminder of God's might.

    Another interesting fact is that each of the plagues demonstrated God's power over various Egyptian gods. Anyway, keep up the good work :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed how Jacob separated the flocks in Genesis 30; that was clever of him! But, I too appreciate the story of Joseph, because he simply does good time and time again.

    ReplyDelete