Wednesday, December 16, 2009

"Not Wrapping This In Ribbons"

It's Christmas time, and I'm quite the grinch. I have no desire to put up my own decorations, buy or wrap gifts, and even taking gifts is difficult. I use the excuse that people have forgotten the meaning of Christmas, but then I don't know if I believe it any more either. But, I'm still not about to lose my hard work trying to follow the ways of Dave Ramsey by falling into the commercial, retail traps.

For a long time I've claimed to be of Christian faith. I do not doubt there may be a God. I do not doubt that there may be more intelligent beings within the cosmos. I have been reading Erich Von Daniken's book "Chariots of the Gods?" and find it completely life transforming. My father revealed similar thoughts to what is said in this book. I myself have always had a hard time believing in Jesus as the one and only son of God, part of THE trinity. I've recently retired my cross pendant from being worn around my neck.

Does this come as no surprise? I think my pastor would be devastated if he read this; I just spoke to him today too. I think he would be wide-eyed and concerned about me. Would my father be surprised to read this? Probably, but perhaps he would be more excited. I find myself interested in ideas that perhaps would have stirred great conversations with the quiet man. Either way, I am doing all the reading and research I possibly can in this lifetime to understand as much as possible.

Remind me, though, to enjoy this life. Who knows if this may be my last?

Today's song: "No Surprise" - Daughtry

No comments:

Post a Comment